S P Environmental Services
S P Environmental Services work in partnership with all clients, this is key to our business and philosophy. We are pro-actively involved with all projects from initial design stages, through to installation & commissioning phases, finishing with a handover and any subsequent ongoing maintenance needed.
RE-OPENING DUE TO COVID-19 LOCKDOWN
When a building is taken temporarily out of use (mothballing) it is important to manage the water system to ensure microbiological growth, including Legionella, is controlled
The Drinking Water Inspectorate have produced generic guidance for businesses on good practice on reinstating and maintaining a water safe supply in buildings that have remained unused during the Covid-19 lockdown period.
The possible hazards to public health
After an extended period of low turnover or no demand, a water supply in a food or business premises may deteriorate when left stagnant in storage tanks and pipework. Typical examples of deterioration problems can include:
- the leaching of lead and nickel to a poisonous level
- the build-up of Legionella in tanks creating serious respiratory hazards
- the accumulation of foul taste or odour issues
- the build-up of disinfectants to toxic levels
- failure of unused valves permitting backflow of faecal matter from toilets
- dried out filters which become ineffective or have accumulated serious contamination.
Smaller public, commercial and retail buildings and other premises should consider the building Water Safety Plan.
- As an absolute minimum you should carry out progressive flushing of water storage tanks and pipework in order to introduce fresh water into the system before consumer access.
- Hot water systems need to be raised to a temperature of greater than 60°C, and full system disinfection may be required in some circumstances to achieve 50mg/L free chlorine.
- Building managers are advised to work in collaboration with the local water supplier to avoid sufficiency issues in the local area and to manage the disposal of large volumes of water, disinfectants and other chemicals.
How we can help..
This is what we specialise in, and have done for many years, disinfections of water systems. With our expertise and knowledge we can carry out full disinfections of water systems followed by microbiological water analysis. From small domestic water systems to large scale industrial sites, we offer nationwide services and can offer discount on bulk sites located around the country. If you require a quote, then please click here (Internal Chlorination Test).